Faith, Politics, and Sexual Diversity in Canada and the United States
Is a large set of original essays edited with Clyde Wilcox (Georgetown University). It draws contributions from sociologists, political scientists, religious studies scholars, and public opinion experts to explore a wide range of issues at the intersection of religion and politics, using the struggles over sexual diversity as its primary lens. It includes an introduction co-authored with Wilcox setting the context for the comparison of these two countries, and a chapter by me on the relationship between the Conservative Party of Canada and religious traditionalists. My conclusion to the volume points to similarities between Canada and the U.S., including a set of unresolved dilemmas created by the sometimes-competing claims of advocates for rights based on faith and sexual diversity.
- 1. The Difference that a Border Makes: The Political Intersection of Sexuality and Religion in Canada and the United States.
David Rayside and Clyde Wilcox
- 2. Culture War? A Closer Look at the Role of Religion, Denomination, and Religiosity in US Public Opinion on Multiple Sexualities.
Shauna L. Shames, Didi Kuo, and Katherine Levine
- 3. A Twenty-Year Survey of Canadian Attitudes towards Homosexuality and Gay Rights.
- 4. “Civility without Compromise”: A Comparative Analysis of Evangelical Attitudes towards Same-Sex Issues in Comparative Context.
- 5. The Pro-Family Movement in Canada and the United States: Institutional Histories and Barriers to Diffusion.
Tina Fetner and Carrie B. Sanders
- 6. Evangelicals, the Christian Right, and Gay/Lesbian rights in the United State: Simple and Complex St
Clyde Wilcox and Rentaro Iida
- 7. Liberal, with Conservation “Vibrations”: African-American Protestants and the Struggle over Legal Rights for Gay and Lesbian Couples.
Robert P. Jones and Daniel Cox
- 8. Canadian Evangelicals and Same-Sex Marriage.
- 9. It’s All about Sex: The Roots of Opposition to Gay and Lesbian Marriages in Some Canadian Churches.
Pamela Dickey Young
- 10. Focusing, Framing, and Discerning: The United Church of Canada and the Same-Sex Marriage Debate.
- 11. American Mainline Protestantism and Deliberation about Homosexuality.
Laura Olson, Paul A. Djupe, and Wendy Cadge
- 12. Catholicism, Homosexuality, and Same-Sex Marriage in the United States.
Ted G. Jelen
- 13. Roman Catholics and Same-Sex Marriage in Quebec Solange.
Lefebvre and Jean-François Breton
- 14. Paths from Emancipation: American Jews and Same-Sex Marriage.
Kenneth D. Wald
- 15. Muslims and Sexual Diversity in North America.
Momin Rahman and Amir Hussain
- 16. The Conservative Party of Canada and Its Religious Constituencies.
- 17. The Politics of Marriage and American Party Politics: Evidence from the 2004 US Election.
John C. Green
18. The Supreme Court of Canada’s Attempt to Reconcile Freedom of Religion and Sexual Orientation Equality in the Public Schools
19. Law, Sexuality, and Morality in the United States.
- 20. Cross-Border Parallels and Unresolved Issues at the Political Intersection of Sexuality and Religion.
- A Canadian Legal and Institutional Context
- B US Legal and Institutional Context