Book Chapters and Journal Articles
“Early Advocacy for the Public Recognition of Sexual Diversity,” in The Oxford Handbook of Global LGBT and Sexual Diversity Politics, ed. Michael Bosia, Sandra M. McEvoy, and Momin Rahman (Oxford University Press, 2019)
“Canadian LGBT Advocacy Since Winning Marriage,” in After Marriage Equality: The Future of LGBT Rights, ed. Carlos Ball (New York: NYU Press, 2016): pp. 261-87
“Queer Advocacy in Ontario,” in Queer Mobilizations: Social Movement Activism and Canadian Public Policy ed. Manon Tremblay (Vancouver: UBC Press, 2015): pp. 85-105
- “The Equity Landscape for Sexual Minorities in Canada,” (with Gerald Hunt and Don Shortt) in
- Employment Equity in Canada: The Legacy of the Abella Report, ed. Carol Agocs and Michael
- Lynck (Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2014),pp. 156-75
“The Inadequate Recognition of Sexual Diversity by Canadian Schools,” Journal of Canadian Studies 48, 1 (winter 2014): 190-225
- “The Meanings of Conservatism,” (with James Farney); “Moral Conservatism in Ontario Party Politics”;
- and “The Distinctive Evolution of Canadian Conservatism,” (with James Farney), in
- Conservatism in Canada, ed. James Farney and David Rayside (Toronto: University of Toronto
- Press, 2013)
- “The Difference that a Border Makes: The Political Intersection of Sexuality andReligion in Canada and
- the United States” (with Clyde Wilcox); “The Conservative Party of Canada and its Religious
- Constituencies”; and “Unresolved Issues at the Political Intersection of Sexuality and Religion”;
- in Faith, Politics, and Sexual Diversity in Canada and the United States, ed. David Rayside and
- Clyde Wilcox (Vancouver: UBC Press, 2011)
- “Muslim American Communities’ Response to Queer Visibility,” Contemporary Islam 5, 2 (July 2011):
- “The Distinctive Centrality of Marriage in the United States,” in Same-Sex Marriage in the Americas, ed.
- Jason Pierceson, Adriana Piatti-Crocker and Shawn Schulenberg (Lanham, MD: Lexington
- Press, 2010), pp. 203-26.
- “Two Pathways to Revolution: The Difference that Context Makes in Canada and the United States,” in
- Who’s Your Daddy: And Other Writings on Queer Parenting, ed., Rachel Epstein (Toronto:
- Sumach Press, 2009), pp. 202-09.
- “Equity, Diversity, and Canadian Labour in Comparative Perspective”; and “Broadening the Labour
- Movement’s Disability Agenda” (with Fraser Valentine), in Equity, Diversity, and Canadian Labour,
- ed. Gerald Hunt and David Rayside (Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2007)
- “The United States in Comparative Context,” in The Politics of Same-Sex Marriage, ed.
- Craig Rimmerman and Clyde Wilcox (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2007), pp. 341-74
- “The Geo-Politics of Sexual Diversity: Measuring Progress in the United States, Canada, and the
- Netherlands” (with Gerald Hunt), New Labor Forum (Spring-Summer 2001): 37-47
- “Labor Union Response to Diversity in Canada and the United States” (with Gerald Hunt)
- Industrial Relations: A Journal of Economy and Society 39 (July 2000): 401-44.
- “On the Fringes of the New Europe: Sexual Diversity Activism and the Labour Movement,” in
- Laboring for Rights: Unions and Sexual Diversity Across Nations, ed. Gerald Hunt (Temple
- University Press, 1999), pp. 206-37.
- “The Structuring of Sexual Minority Activist Opportunities in the Political Mainstream: Britain, Canada,
- and the U.S.” in Sexual Identities, Queer Politics, ed. Mark Blasius (Princeton, NJ: Princeton
- University Press, 2001), pp. 23-55.
- “The Perils of Congressional Politics,” in Gay Rights, Military Wrongs: Political Perspectives on
- Lesbian and Gays in the Military, ed. Craig Rimmerman (New York: Garland, 1996), pp. 147-94
- “Report on the Status of Lesbians and Gays in the Profession,” by the Committee on the Status of
- Lesbians and Gays in the Profession, American Political Science Association – drafted by
- David Rayside and Martha Ackelsberg, PS: Political Science & Politics (September 1995): 561-73.
- “Heterosexism and Free Speech,” in Social Problems in Canada: A Reader, ed. Adie Nelson and Augie
- Fleras (Toronto: Prentice-Hall Canada, 1995)
- “Sexual Diversity and the Social Sciences in English Canada,” International Journal of Canadian Studies
- 10 (Fall 1994): 145-50.
- “AIDS Activism and the State in Canada” (with Evert Lindquist), Studies in Political Economy,
- no. 39 (Autumn, 1992): 37-76
- “Canada: Community Activism, Federalism and the New Politics of Disease” (with Evert Lindquist), in
- AIDS in the Industrialized Democracies: Passions, Politics and Policies, ed. David Kirp and
- Ronald Bayer (New Brunswick, N.J.: Rutgers University Press; and Montreal: McGill-Queen’s
- Univ. Press, 1992), pp. 49-98.
“Homophobia, Class and Party in England,” Canadian Journal of Political Science 25 (March 1992): 121-49
“Small Town Fragmentation and the Politics of Community,” Journal of Canadian Studies 24 (Spring 1989): 103-20.
- “Public Opinion and Gay Rights” (with Scott Bowler), Canadian Review of Sociology and Anthropology
- 25 (November 1988): 649-60.
- “Gay Rights and Family Values: The Passage of Bill 7 in Ontario,” Studies in Political Economy 26
- (Summer 1988): 109-47. [LINK]
- “New Parties in Western Democracies” (with Charles Hauss), in Political Parties: Development or Decay,
- ed. Louis Maisel and Joseph Cooper (Beverley Hills, Calif.: Sage, l978) pp. 3l-59.
- “Language Group Relations in Canada and Belgium,” Ethnic Studies 2 (December l978) - this is an
- English version of an earlier article appearing in Recherches Sociologiques.
- “The Impact of the Linguistic Cleavage on the ‘Governing’ Parties of Belgium and Canada,”
- Canadian Journal of Political Science 11 (March l978): 6l-97.
Oxford Research Encyclopedia of LGBT Politics and Policy (Oxford University Press, 2019) - entry on “Canada’s LGBT Movement”
Global Encyclopedia of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgener, and Queer History (Charles Scribner, 2019) - entry on “Parenting Rights in North America”
- Encyclopedia of Political Science (Congressional Quarterly Press, 2011) - entry on “Lesbian, Gay,
- Bisexual, and Transgender movement - Comparative”
- International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences (Thomson Gale, 2009) - entry on “Politics, Gay
- and Lesbian”
- Encyclopedia of American Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender History and Culture, ed. Marc Stein
- (Scribner, 2003) - entries on: “Barney Frank”; “Elaine Noble”; and major articles on “Family
- Law and Policy”; “Military”; “Electoral Politics”.
- Social Welfare History Encyclopedia (Sage, 2003) - entry on “Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual/Transgendered
- Policy Issues in Canada”
- Encyclopedia Brittanica (2003) - entries on “Canadian Liberal Party”; “Canadian Alliance
- Who’s Who in Lesbian and Gay History, ed. Robert Aldrich and Garry Wotherspoon (New York:
- Routledge, 2001) Coordinator of overall Canadian biographical entries; author of entries on:
- Barry Adam; The Body Politic; André Boulerice; Nicole Brossard; Maurice Flood; Barney Frank;
- Sky Gilbert; Gerald Hannon; John Herbert; Gary Kinsman; Douglas LePan; Alan Li; Angela Mason;
- Tim McCaskell; Harvey Milk; Elaine Noble; Svend Robinson; Douglas Sanders; Shyam Selvadurai;
- Chris Smith; Allan Spear; Gerry Studds; Peter Tatchell; Pierre Elliot Trudeau; Pierre Valliéres; Tom Warner.